Trippermap

Sunday, June 5, 2011

One Week Until Lift Off

     It is now officially one week until I leave for Varna, Bulgaria. I haven't started packing yet, but I have started worrying about flying. As much as I love to travel... I really hate flying. However, I will be prepared with my iPod, my total pillow, and some Benadryl. If I can fall asleep on the plane it will be better for all involved (especially since every time the plane starts to land I think we're crashing). I'll be happy when my feet are back on the ground!
     We're going to be staying in the Golden Sands Hotel, and living the good life on the coast of the Black Sea. Many of us in the group have signed up for the "Optional Tour" package, so we'll be taking day trips to the towns of Balchik and Nessebar, going on a wine and cheese tasting tour, and visiting the Euxinograd palace. (Many pictures to come!)
    Also while we're there we'll be performing Mozart's famous opera The Magic Flute as part of the large summer music festival that takes place in Varna every year. This is incredibly exciting because we'll be singing in the Varna opera house, and they're letting us use their costumes, professional orchestra etc.
     To finish up, I read in my travel book the other day that nodding your head up and down means "no" and shaking it from side to side means "yes" in Bulgaria. I'm not sure I'll ever get the hang of that since I've been doing it the other way around for 20 years.
     Challenge: Tomorrow try to nod your head while telling someone "no" at the same time. Live like a Bulgarian :)

-Globetrotter

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an awesome trip! I look forward to following your travel adventures through Bulgaria.

    ReplyDelete