Trippermap

Monday, June 13, 2011

Flying to Bulgaria

We finally made it to Varna Bulgaria after an exhausting 2 days of traveling! We took a bus for 5 hours to Washington D.C. because the flight was cheaper there than from RDU. Then we took a 7 hour flight to London, changed planes quickly for our 4 hour flight to Sofia (or as the locals say it "Sof-ya"), had a 6 hour layover there, and then we finally took our last 1 hour flight to Varna. By the time we landed there it was already 11PM, so we all pretty much crashed and burned. I was so tired and disoriented! (The USA is 7 hours behind Bulgaria time).

We made it to the hotel which is so nice. Everything is very Western feeling as far as the way appliances work, and the hotel rooms look like a Marriott for the most part. They have 3 pools here, and I can see the Black Sea from my room window. One interesting thing America could take a note on is that in order for the lights to work in your hotel room, you have to put your room key card in a slot by the door. 1. This means you are probably not likely to forget your room key because it's staring you in the face as you walk out the door. 2. When you leave and take your room key with you, all of the lights that you may have forgotten to turn off, will simply turn off by themselves saving electricity.

Basically the same thing happens in the hallway. The lights are motion sensor activated, so if no one's in the hallway the lights will simply switch off. But...as soon as someone steps in the hallway, they turn right on. That's pretty cool.

Last night when I went out on my balcony looking out at the Black Sea, you could hear the music from people clubbing somewhere on the beach. Apparently there were also fireworks that went off 3 times last night (which I completely missed becuase I slept like a log last night). Basically, on the beach people party until the AM big time.

The key board I'm typing on also has the letters for the Cyrillic alphabet on there, which I think is funny. For someone not used to seeing everything written in Cyrillic, it makes me feel like I'm in some spy movie where I have to decipher the code... 3-triangle-A-star???

Anyway I'll tell you more about my tour of Varna today in a little while. Still pretty jet lagged, so it's nap time before our Cocktail Par-tay tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment