Trippermap

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Living in London Part II

Well friends, in exactly two weeks from today I will officially be back in the United States, or "The States" as people say over here. I can't even believe it...it's just gone by so quickly!

So I thought I should write another post about the adventures I've been having in London because, as you can imagine, living somewhere is very different from visiting. For example, my family toured London two summers ago, and thanks to my 'itinereary' (that they made fun of) we saw literally almost every single tourist spot there was in London. However, I've been living here for four months and I have yet to lay eyes on Buckingham Palace, and in reality I probably won't even get the chance to see it before I go. That's not to say I haven't been having plenty of adventures!
That's my walk to class every day. No big deal. I just walk along the Thames and look at St. Paul's, the London Eye, Big Ben and Parliament!
Luckily the whole time I've been here the weather has been pretty amazing. This past week it's been really cold, but not at all rainy like I imagined! Just to say though, I told a certain some body (ahem Mom) that it was cold here, and she said, "No worries it's cold here too!". Incorrect! I looked at Weatherchannel.com, and Raleigh is still getting weather in the 60s, our high for the day is about 40 right now! So, if that gives you any idea! Raleigh will feel like summer to me compared to here. Also the sun literally sets at 3:30. Let's just say the other Americans (who are from southern California) and I (from the good ol' south) are NOT used to this. Especially if you're a college student sleeping in on the weekends until 1PM, and then the sun sets on you at 3:30...that's not a very long day!
Walking around near the Tower of London and Tower Bridge!
 I've also acquired the knowledge to be able to tell military time. My British friends made fun of me when I got here because I had to count 16:00 on my fingers, but now I could tell you it's 4PM! Also if ask a British person the time and they say "Half five"...It means 5:30. Now that seems simple enough, but if you're not used to hearing the time that way, it takes some getting used to!

Also, literally every door in London pretty much says "FIRE DOOR KEEP SHUT". I know they had a fire here a LONG time ago that burnt down most of the city, but you'd think they'd be a little less vocal about it. You think I'm kidding, but every door in my apartment building, school and library says this. Also a lot of the public buildings with doors say it too. I got used to it, but at first it was a little much!
Sorting Hat at the  Harry Potter Society
 Other exciting adventures. I'm in the Harry Potter Society at King's College with my friend Paula. We went to the Sorting Hat event. I'm a Ravensclaw, of course. And she and I are going to the Yule Ball they're having this Friday. Obviously we're really cool. I also found out that Gringott's Bank is in the Australian Embassy across the street from where I go to school, so of course I went to see it. Even BETTER: Dumbledore's office is the reading room in my school's Maughan Library, and you have to have a student pass to get in. So I'm official...and I study in Dumbledore's office. No big deal :)

 Also below you can see my friends and I went to the Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park. Imagine a small version of the NC State Fair meets Christmas. It's magical. That's actually how we celebrated our Thanksgiving. A trip to Winter Wonderland to kick off Christmas!

If you come to London all of the tourists eat Fish and Chips. If you're British, all you ever want to eat is curry. I'm serious. They always "could go for a good curry". So if you want to be a tourist, eat fish and chips. If you want to be a real Brit, go find some curry!

Now I'm going to give you Allison's list of 10 things she's excited for about going home:
1. Seeing the family!
2. I need my dog...for real.
3. All of my friends :) :) :)
4. I will die if I don't immediately get to consume a Chick fil a Sandwich! (And some good Mexican food would be nice :)
5. I miss my car... I love to have a good car party (it's slightly harder to have a Tube party, but it can be done. I know. It's happened.)
6. I can't wait to have my big pink body pillow back!
7. Dollar bills! I hate pounds. I really really do. Every time I break a 5, I get coins back and they're so heavy! I actually just hate coins in general. So YAY dollar bills!
8. Living back at the Sigma house. I cannot cook. I really just can't. Hamburgers were for when I was feeling creative. And I miss big comfy couches!
9. The fact that NC weather will feel like summer compared to winter in London! AND the sun won't set at half three (anyone??? half three???)
10. CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!
BONUS: I WILL GET FREE REFILLS ON MY DRINKS AGAIN. I AM STOKED!

BRITISH WORD OF THE DAY:
It's actually a phrase. To 'whack it in' means to 'put something in'. As in "Let's look up Allison on Facebook", "Ok just whack it in the computer'. Or another example, "I want fish and chips for dinner", "Well, go whack it in the oven!". And there you have it friends. Living in London...Part II.

1 comment:

  1. Oi
    Coleque umas fotos do Brasil ( voce podera escolher Rio de Janeiro, Amazonia, Fernando de Noronha, Lencois Maranhense, Buzios etc)
    Venha visitar o Brasil Bjs
    Leila ( Brasil )

    ReplyDelete