Trippermap

Thursday, September 29, 2011

An American in London

I've been here for almost two weeks now! I can hardly believe it because it feels like I just arrived yesterday! I've already done so much in two weeks, and in reality, I probably went too hard too fast since I've spent the last few days as a hermit in my room trying to recover from "Fresher's Flu". Fresher's Flu is their term for what happens when everyone starts living together and sickness spreads like wildfire. I'm not the only one who's had it...most people around here currently feel like death. Luckily I was able to see a doctor, so I'm feeling much better today (which is really good since I have to sing for my Royal Academy of Music audition today!).

Speaking of going to the doctor, this leads me to the topic of the day: Living in London (and all of the wonderfully delicious things British people say and do). Yes, that was quite a long title.

Let's start with my trip to the doctor. It is a nightmare trying to see a doctor here. Really. You have to be previously registered somewhere, and to my knowledge there isn't really an urgent care place you can go (which is probably what I really needed yesterday). So that was an absolute nightmare, but luckily there was a place around the corner from where I lived that took me in. I think the lady at reception realized if they didn't take me in, I was going to pass out on their floor, and then they would have had to see me.

The doctor is really different over here though. I'm used to seeing nurses and doctors walking around with tablet computers, and knowing when it's my turn to be seen...they can stay as long as I need them to (even if they are in a rush). When I got in to see the doctor she told me I only had 10 minutes with her. So I told her my symptoms, she looked in my throat and ears, and said I essentially had a sinus infection. She gave me a prescription, which was great because I obviously needed something...but I'm not 100% sure that I was thoroughly checked out. And then the pharmacy I went to to fill my prescription was incredibly sketchy. It made me miss Kmart and Walgreen's. They looked totally disorganized, medicine and paperwork everywhere, and the pharmacist was reading people a list of side effects out of what looked like a text book. But at the end of the day I'm feeling better, so...it was an adventure.

Ok on a slightly more fun note. My British rommies looked at me like I had three heads when I came into the kitchen and made a good ol' PB&J for dinner. They seriously asked me if I was going to eat that. One of them still to this day has not even tried peanut butter...which I will change. However, they don't have the best peanut butter here...like Jiff (the one choosy moms choose), but it tastes good when you're hungry :) I was sure to inform them that I was not weird, and this was basically the American childhood lunchbox staple.

Ramen noodles over here are called "Super noodles", and I looked at my roomie like he had three heads when he made his Ramen noodles and then proceeded to put them on bread with a piece of ham on top. I asked him, "Are you going to eat your noodles like that?!", but apparently that's how you eat Ramen over here...when I finally made my Super Noodles it actually suggested in the package that you eat it on bread with ham. So if you are feeling particularly adventurous and British at home...you can eat your Ramen noodles like that! (And on a side note, Mom Gail/Sigma ladies if you're reading this...I miss Ben's cooking...I'm a horrible cook, and miss being able to roll out of bed with food already made for me. I've been eating Ramen and PB&Js for two weeks now...! Is this what real college life is like? I want the Sigma house back!! Haha)

Here's your British Word of the Day: Knackered
That's my favorite one thus far. You might think this word means you've been at the pub and had one to many, but sorry to disappoint...it just means you're tired. But it's so much more fun to say "I'm completely knackered", than to say "I'm tired". So I've taken to saying this word whenever possible (and it sounds even better with a British accent!). You can go ahead and say it...I know you want to. Just try telling someone today that you're "Completely Knackered" and see what happens!

Alright well...we'll leave that as Living in London (and all of the wonderfully delicious things British people say and do) PART I, and pick up with the rest another time. Not to worry I have many more brilliant stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment